Looks like a GT242 not junk…

·
Registered
436 Posts
You get something every week templeton?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yes trying to rebuild my inventory. Sold 7 in the last two weeks. Picking up another 330,400 this weekend. Then I’ll back off a bit unless I see something I can’t pass on. Got about 7 100 series I need to build decks for too. Work gets in the way,… The 332 is pretty sweet though, took about 3 hours to get it running but runs so sweet now. Mowed for 1/2 hr or so. I really like it👍🏻

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yes sorry, 322. My first. Manual choke. Super smooth and alarmingly quiet. Had the typical broken pickup in the tank. Working hour meter is very low but I don’t trust it. Po really cobbed the heck out of the deck and pedestal. Has new fan and belt but needs isolator before I run it. It’s cracking badly. Engine oil was way overfull as was trans oil. Rev 3 dampener removed. Really got to do some beautification but I believe it’s got good bones.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
JDguy you are more than just a hobbiest :p. Post more pics won’t ya?

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Everything is a mess here with new arrivals and and tractors inline for service. I will get some good picks maybe by the weekend. Going to try to get some decks ready today. I have about 40 spindle bearings to install. Ya it’s still a hobby I have a real job. My mower money pays for my tractor addiction!! 😂😂😂

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Ya the last one I got as a running basket case and refurbished it to a sweet mower, then sold. This one here is coming with the ridiculous mics job box size collector. Looks silly but I want to at least try it!

·
Registered
1989 318
2,480 Posts
I just added an LT178 to the herd. It is my first liquid cooled one. Owner said it has sat for 2 years after the parking brake got stuck. It was at a business, they had another mower so they did not bother with the poor old Deere. It has a 38" deck that looks good. The hood is broke at the hinges so this is right up the 'hoodless Deere alley'. The motor looks clean, there is surface rust on the pan in a couple spots. I'll have to find an Op Manual to see how the beast is supposed to be treated. It was on CL and the guy said he has had dozens of calls on it, luckily (or not) I was the first and closest so he honored that. Someone told him the motor was worth $500, but I don't know about that? I will go through it and see if I can get that brake unstuck and fire it up. I am pumped up to hear it run! This stuff is fun, it is like treasure hunting! And, it has a brand new tilting suspension seat!

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
1989 318
2,480 Posts
Releasing the stuck brake was easy, push on the brake pedal and push/pull the rod that is attached to the broken plastic Ebrake. Now it rolls, the gas looks smells good, water level is good, oil is clean. I need a battery for it. I don't like removing batteries from other tractors so I will get a new one tomorrow. If all the stars are aligned and I have enough Karma points I may have a running 'hoodless' 178 tomorrow!

Reactions: 5540jd

·
Registered
1989 318
2,480 Posts
I just added fresh gas, my goodness that has a LARGE gas tank opening! And, under the flip seat there is what looks like a little stash box, tool box, whatever, how clever of them. The guy said he paid $75 for that seat, I thought hat was low based on what they sell for today.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
808 Posts
The factory seat has a storage area under it and flips forward. He may have just replaced cushion.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I'm a founding member of the Black Sheep Squadron and so are some other guys hanging out here. That got started after our 400's were referred to as the black sheep of JD garden tractors. A 400 model is easily identifiable by vintage JD GT enthusiasts because of the rear wheel hubs. You hoodless guys have a way better recognition factor though. Everybody can see you have no hood. It's like standing there with your pants down around your ankles. Impossible not to notice it. It seems like there are a lot of you hoodless guys around these days too. You should form an identifiable group like us BS'ers. You could call yourself the 'Hoodlums' and come up come up with a secret handshake and have meetings and maybe even have some T shirts made. :p

2641 - 2660 of 2715 Posts