Weekend Freedom Machines banner
2821 - 2840 of 2877 Posts

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
I forgot add that I also got a set of pallet forks along with the loader. I think those will be useful to pick up and transport logs to the sawmill, I just have to be observant of weight capacity. I can estimate a logs weight and I normally do not cut longer than 8'.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I forgot add that I also got a set of pallet forks along with the loader. I think those will be useful to pick up and transport logs to the sawmill, I just have to be observant of weight capacity. I can estimate a logs weight and I normally do not cut longer than 8'.
Are they bucket clamp on forks?

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
My first task for the bucket something I could have/should have done with a wagon, but I need seat time with the loader, trying to NOT tip it over! The other pic is the pallet forks that came with it, luckily the guy remembered having them just before I left.

Tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Plant

Plant Wood Grass Trunk Road surface

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
I need to heed my own safety warning! I took that load of wood down to my firepit and darned-near tipped the tractor over because it is a downhill slope and I was a bit off-canter. Lesson learned! It was also pretty bouncy going through my less-than-smooth yard so my next task is rear ballast, All's well that end's well:rolleyes:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Tom, I think you will learn that a lawn tractor is to small to move a log with. Way to far out front to counter the weight. Front end and tires aren’t heavy enough either. Small tractors even struggle with one decent enough to mill.

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about lifting, but maybe I can use it to roll a log. I normally do it manually with a Peavy. I gotta use the girl for something!

·
Premium Member
9,923 Posts
Tom,

I found that pallet forks were a bit more stable on a rear load lifter/3-pt hitch, since they are closer to the rear axle (less tipping) and can be carried pretty low most of the time. Less counter weight needed too because of the geometry. Of course it is hard to see the forks here as they are UNDER the pallet... ;)

Tire Wheel Plant Riding mower Lawn mower

...you can see the tips of the forks sticking out in this view below.
Plant Plant community Flowerpot Tree Road surface

Chuck

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Picked up a couple of suitcase weights today. They have tree sap drippings on them.

Anyone have a good solution for removing tree sap? Acetone, pain thinner, vinegar etc ?

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1989 318
3,038 Posts
Isopropyl alcohol, aka rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I used WD40 to take pine sap off my Corvette fender one day then I immediately hand washed that area with soapy water once the sap was off. There was no sap residue and no damage to the paint at all when I was done.

Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Premium Member
9,923 Posts
I have used WD40 to remove the residual adhesive from duct tape that was on the tail lights and fender of my X495 for several years prior to my buying it from the local cemetery. It looked hopeless before I started to clean it off, but actually did not take too much effort. I did not think to take a "before" picture of the fender itself, but here is the crusty tape and the adhesive layer on the tail light lens:
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Wood Gas Tints and shades

Found an "after" picture of the new lights and the rear fender...
Tire Wheel Vehicle Toy Automotive tire

Chuck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Picked up this today 1969 140 H3 today been looking for a 140 for sometime people are asking crazy money for them in my area. I believe this to also be a patio tractor because there is plenty of white poking through the green paint. It’s definitely been repainted at one time. Even though the serial number doesn’t indicate it according to the guide for 140’s. Hard to say what color the hood was I believe it was sunset orange or that’s what it looks like to me.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Plant Leaf Houseplant Terrestrial plant Close-up

Plant Terrestrial plant Font Grass Liquid

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Green Organism Water Grass Circle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Green Terrestrial plant Gas Grass Close-up
Motor vehicle Hood Terrestrial plant Automotive tire Gas
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hood looks like it is April yellow in the last pic. Are those flat center wheels cracked anywhere? Your tractor is old enough the serial tag will not tell you if it is a patio.

2821 - 2840 of 2877 Posts