Weekend Freedom Machines banner
2941 - 2955 of 2955 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts

A friend and I were looking for a 420 and just found this one. It’s a 1987 with 1250hrs and starter/ring gear issues. I want the 2 speed rear end for my 318, he wants the chassis. The engine will go to a third friend, the mower deck possibly a fourth. The chassis will be combined with some newer 1/2 series compact tractor components to build a “super garden tractor “. Yes, I will post pictures of our progress.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
A 2 speed transaxle is a must to me. Not for the extra speed. I never run in high range. It's being able to put a tractor in neutral that I really like. I sometimes park my blower 400 right behind my Vette in the hoist bay so to avoid any unfortunate incidents I drive it into the bay just far enough that all 4 tires are on the cement floor, then put the selector in neutral and roll it the last few feet. It's also nice to be able to put it in neutral if I'm gonna leave a 400 or the 420 idling for some reason. And towing them is another bonus. My 140 auto releases no problem but I still don't like moving it around that way.

A friend and I were looking for a 420 and just found this one. It’s a 1987 with 1250hrs and starter/ring gear issues. I want the 2 speed rear end for my 318, he wants the chassis. The engine will go to a third friend, the mower deck possibly a fourth. The chassis will be combined with some newer 1/2 series compact tractor components to build a “super garden tractor “. Yes, I will post pictures of our progress.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
If the 420 side panels are surplus I'd be interested. I wouldn't sell them if they were mine so I am not optimistic about yours being available. I like long shots as much as the next guy though. ;)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Definitely a nice area. Route 287 S. to 80 west?
I came across 84 and started south a few miles before port Jarvis. For some reason Waze likes to take me on secondary roads 🤣 It was really nice though as I drove an hour through cattle country, I mean big cattle operations sprinkled with big ol farmsteads and the scenery was spectacular. When some think of nj they think of interstates, car lots, power plants and industries. This was the exact opposite, just gorgeous. 👍🏻

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I came across 84 and started south a few miles before port Jarvis. For some reason Waze likes to take me on secondary roads 🤣 It was really nice though as I drove an hour through cattle country, I mean big cattle operations sprinkled with big ol farmsteads and the scenery was spectacular. When some think of nj they think of interstates, car lots, power plants and industries. This was the exact opposite, just gorgeous. 👍🏻
Damn, you probably were not far from passing by my place. I'm exit 5 on 84, exit before Port Jervis. You must have gotten on Rt. 23 to 206 to 94.
Yes, most people don't realize how nice NW Jersey is. More suburbia now as most of dairy farms are gone, but still nice none the less.

Reactions: jake_vc

·
Registered
732 Posts
There use to be quite a few small dairy farms around the Blairstown area, but they were pretty much all gone be the mid nineties. Did you go by the Deere dealership on 94 just south of Blairstown? I use to work there.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
@TempletonJDguy what cab is in back of pick-up? Looking for one for my 110.

There's one by me but guy says it for 300 series and wants $900 for it. Little rich for me and not sure what it would take to work on the 110, if at all. He says there no tag on it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
No I didn’t go to the dealership, but I need to find a few of the friendlier ones!🤣🤣 it’s the typical 318 cab ty15380. There is a guy down by you that has a cozy cab on a 140 with 49 thrower for 1500. I got him to 12 but we couldn’t get it done with different schedules. I’m looking at a different cozy cab today, hope it works out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
A 2 speed transaxle is a must to me. Not for the extra speed. I never run in high range. It's being able to put a tractor in neutral that I really like. I sometimes park my blower 400 right behind my Vette in the hoist bay so to avoid any unfortunate incidents I drive it into the bay just far enough that all 4 tires are on the cement floor, then put the selector in neutral and roll it the last few feet. It's also nice to be able to put it in neutral if I'm gonna leave a 400 or the 420 idling for some reason. And towing them is another bonus. My 140 auto releases no problem but I still don't like moving it around that way.
Looking forward to the higher transport speed when running the 2kms between our house and my parents place were I keep the herd.
Low range will be a plus when ploughing too.
Neutral capability is always a plus.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
I mowed my dad's 2 acres of grass for two seasons. Laneway to laneway it's about half a mile down the road. Couldn't use high range because the power assist steering on that 400 was way too loosey goosey. If I ran it in road gear I had to use all of the right lane and sometimes part of the left one. I managed to eliminate most of the sloppiness later on after I didn't have to drive the tractor over there anymore. That's how I always time things. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DEERE317
2941 - 2955 of 2955 Posts