Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on My Uncles 530 with John Deere Wide front end on the bottom of the front end. What are the Bolt holes for does any body know? Bolt On guides for crops to keep the front wheels from running down crops?

also Pic of the current state of the tractor its getting a bit of work.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

· Registered
1951 JD B, 1967 JD 110-Rf, 1969 JD 110-Sf custom, 1972 JD 110-Sf
855 Posts
Neat tractor a 530/630/730 is on my list. I never noticed those holes before. They're not threaded like you'd see for 2wd front fenders....... not that those would exist back then. Your guess is as good as mine. I checked on line and every widefront I had saw had those. Looking at vintage sprayers they didn't even have a tire shield. I wonder maybe for some sort of L piece " tire cleaner" ? I've seen a few narrow fronts that had a piece of metal just over the tires that'd scrape the mud off. I'll have to check my books on my b. I remember seeing a wide front section maybe by chance it'd point out those holes.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Fox. At least it is show in the pictures.

Hoping someboday will know?
I had never seen them before, Granted I don't Have alot of vintage Johnny Poppers to look at.

I had just never seen them before and was wondering to there purpose. Would there have been a guide that bolted on there for the old style Check row planters? just did a youtube search and looks like the check wire was on the outside of the planter so the wire would have been outside of the tires as well.

something I'll have to due some looking when/if I have free time.

Uncle Has a Nice 730 I'll try and get a pic next time I'm over at his shop.

well he has a few JD
quick list
4440 Power Shift
4040 Quad Range
3020 Power Shift
3020 Power Shift with Loader
730 Narrow Front Gas with front mount Snow plow
530 Gas getting a freshing up.
430 Gas with Wide front
G Styled with front mount Snow plow
A Unstyled
50 Crawler I think is the model might be a 40
212 With Loader

· Registered
855 Posts
Thanks Fox. At least it is show in the pictures.

Hoping someboday will know?
I had never seen them before, Granted I don't Have alot of vintage Johnny Poppers to look at.

I had just never seen them before and was wondering to there purpose. Would there have been a guide that bolted on there for the old style Check row planters? just did a youtube search and looks like the check wire was on the outside of the planter so the wire would have been outside of the tires as well.

something I'll have to due some looking when/if I have free time.

Uncle Has a Nice 730 I'll try and get a pic next time I'm over at his shop.

well he has a few JD
quick list
4440 Power Shift
4040 Quad Range
3020 Power Shift
3020 Power Shift with Loader
730 Narrow Front Gas with front mount Snow plow
530 Gas getting a freshing up.
430 Gas with Wide front
G Styled with front mount Snow plow
A Unstyled
50 Crawler I think is the model might be a 40
212 With Loader
I really like that tractor line up.

My corn planter is a little newer for check row planting not sure what a tractor would need for it.

Any sort of cultivator or side planter is bolted to the frame.

I thought maybe an option to make a high boy but looking at the picture. U bolts are used in the kit.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
My corn planter is a little newer for check row planting not sure what a tractor would need for it.
Your planter that is set up for check row planting could be pulled by any tractor. The check row planting was done by wires set up from one end of field to other and had a series of tripping (knots in wire for lack of better term) to let the seed drop from the drop tube into the ground. The metering plate in hopper continued dropping the seed but the trip lever is what allowed it to go in the ground. My Uncle Nolan was the one in our family who used this. He had the old Allis Chambers to pull it.

Check row planting was for the purpose of allowing cultivating between the stalks thus the operator would go one direction, say north to south. Then the next time he would go east and west. Most gave it up due to the rough ride on the tractor. Chemicals and spraying did away with the need to check row plant.

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
If you have ever driven on a country road or dirt road after a good rain, you would learn quickly how the tires can throw rain and/or mud. I would vote for fenders to control this. Being hit by mud clods is no fun. And they are mounted on bottom of axle to pivot with axle as it turns.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have ever driven on a country road or dirt road after a good rain, you would learn quickly how the tires can throw rain and/or mud. I would vote for fenders to control this. Being hit by mud clods is no fun. And they are mounted on bottom of axle to pivot with axle as it turns.
that being said I dont think I ever seen a Johnny Popper with a wide front and the front fenders. Plenty of 20 series and up. The front fenders on those bolt on to the top of the axle and steering arm from the top.

also best speed for Johnny Poppers is 12MPH I looked up 730 specs. that is not moving very fast your not gonna sling much rain or mud back at those speed's,

4020 tops out at 19MPH and yep I've had mud and dirt land on the rear fender from front tires plenty of times on when you hit the road on the 4020 and get up to top speed.

4020 with front fenders from internet

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tractor

· Registered
855 Posts
that being said I dont think I ever seen a Johnny Popper with a wide front and the front fenders. Plenty of 20 series and up. The front fenders on those bolt on to the top of the axle and steering arm from the top.

also best speed for Johnny Poppers is 12MPH I looked up 730 specs. that is not moving very fast your not gonna sling much rain or mud back at those speed's,

4020 tops out at 19MPH and yep I've had mud and dirt land on the rear fender from front tires plenty of times on when you hit the road on the 4020 and get up to top speed.

4020 with front fenders from internet

View attachment 287945
Ran a 4630 with the front fenders in high school and a bit after. Was a nice step getting fuel.
Clothing Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

I agree never seen a popper with metal or plastic front fenders......doesn't mean it's not possible but that would've a lot of pre early design and planning for something the possibility of front fenders that didn't exsist until the 80s?

As mentioned before I wonder if it was for in the factory. Clip a chain to for painting and assembly?

· Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
How about this. Bolt a bar to each side and take measurements at end for alignment purposes.

Reactions: Fox Run Farms

· Registered
855 Posts
How about this. Bolt a bar to each side and take measurements at end for alignment purposes.
Also makes sense.........
Anti- theift device......a bar through each hole so you can't steer? But then the engineers realized you can still drive it straight up on a trailer.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts