Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy all,

I believe my 1978 210 is in need of a rebuild. This is due to the scored cylinder walls I discovered while I replaced the head gasket last year. This year the engine ran great until yesterday when it just died. Upon further investigation I found the spark plug to be fouled with a brown crust all over the electrode. I am attributing the fouled plug to the oil burning. The engine does use oil at a rate of 1/4 quart every 10-12 hours. It will smoke upon startup but the smoke does clear up in a couple of minutes. So I was wondering if a 1995 K301AQS Spec 4760 will drop in my 1978 210 with manual PTO. I have my eyes on this engine as a replacement for my K241. I would like to do the engine swap (if its doable) in the fall before the snow falls as my 210 is my primary snow removal tool. Maybe I'm better off just rebuilding the K241 and boring it out to a K301. What do you guys think?

As always all comments are greatly appreciated.

This is what my spark plug looked like. I took this from Champions Website.

Font Food Ingredient Automotive tire Art

Hec

· Registered
764 Posts
If it has the circled base of the block it will drop right in.
Edit: spec no. says the engine was made for Lincoln Electric. It should be the correct oil pan. If you get it you will need to convert it to battery ignition (it has magneto). Don't worry, it is simple.
Automotive engine gasket Electrical wiring Gas Audio equipment Auto part

· Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it has the circled base of the block it will drop right in.
Edit: spec no. says the engine was made for Lincoln Electric. It should be the correct oil pan. If you get it you will need to convert it to battery ignition (it has magneto). Don't worry, it is simple.
View attachment 284163

Tired210,

I fat fingered the SPEC Number and have it corrected in the thread title now. The correct spec number is 47640.

Hec

· Registered
764 Posts
It is out of a john deere in fact. Block is right in the parts diagram. Do you have the serial number?

· Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The serial number is a ten digit number and starts with 25. This indicates a 1995 Engine I believe.

Hec

· Registered
764 Posts
Odd. Wonder what JD was using a k301 for in 1995. 15 would make more sense, indicating 1985 instead.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
Yes, ten digits, starts with 25 = 1995. Kohler may have just been making replacement K301s at that point, not for current production machines.
Another thing to watch for is the mounts. I think a 1978 210 would have the 2 piece mounts, not the one piece cradle of the 1975 - 77 models. The two piece mounts require "wings" on the side of the block to mount to. I don't think the circled block in the picture would work. Maybe the middle one.

· Registered
764 Posts
The cradle isn’t a big hurdle, it can be changed for a one piece right?

· Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All,

It does have a two hole mounting bracket on the front of the engine just under the air cleaner and another 2 hole bracket just under the starter.

Hec

· Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All,

This 1995 vintage K301 engine looks to come with the Walbro fixed jet carb. I have no experience working on this carb. I guess I could always swap carbs with my old carb.

Hec

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part

· Registered
764 Posts
That is a definitely john deere engine. Can you take a picture of the engine base.

· Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
All

This is what my cylinder wall looks like. Note the piston appears to be .010" over sized already. I took this picture last year when my head gasket blew. Makes me cringe!😬. This is why I am searching for a K301 To replace this K241.

Hec
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Automotive wheel system

· Registered
764 Posts
If you get a picture of the engine base we can give you a definite answer weather this engine will work.

· Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are pics of the mounts.👍
Hec
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Bumper Motor vehicle Fender

Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine Automotive wheel system

· Registered
764 Posts
That engine looks like brand new hec! I’d say go for it considering it will work in your tractor. It appears to be practically plug & play.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts