Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1985 318, with the goal to rebuild the B43G engine, and maybe the tractor, but haven't decided on that yet. Also got a 46 deck and a 49 snowblower with it also. This is my 2nd 318, I needed a new project.

The engine runs, but surges. The tractor did sit for a while so the carb is probably dirty, so I need to clean that. There was oil in the air filter area as well, so I need to look at that too. I did a compression test with it warmed up, and it was 100 psi on both sides, so compression looks good.

But while cleaning the gunk off the engine, I noticed that one of the oil pan mounting legs was broken. I was looking for a used one, and it looks like there are a few pans for sale from p218 engines. Does anyone know if one of those pans will work on the B43G?

Thanks for the help.

Jesse C.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The pan bolts on, but the swap doesn't work because now there is no place to bolt the starter to. The P218 starters bolt to the block, and the B43G starters bolt to the oil pan.

·
Super Moderator
3,756 Posts
Find a good welder in your area that does it for a living and can weld aluminum. I had one with a broken foot and had it welded by a local welder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. After spending time looking at the pictures of the B43G and the p218 oil pans, I could see the bolt holes for the starter.

I have an uncle who is retired welder, and I am going to see if he can fix it. If not, I will find a local person closer to me to fix it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jesse C.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Contact Boomer Boomer's Used Onan Engine Parts and he will set you up with a nice oil pan. This is the one I just purchased from him. There are many reasons to stay with the B43G oil pan: you can reuse your existing starter, this pan uses a Bendix starter and less prone to causing flywheel ring gear damage compared to the type with the solenoid on it and and mounting the starter to the pan is a better design IMHO. Also you may or may not have a cut-out for the solenoid drive starter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there I have a John Deere 318 with the b43g. Does anybody know if I can just drill and tap my existing b43g oil pan to accommodate the p218 oil drain? Trying to make it easier to change the oil in the ole girl. Will be rebuilding the engine next month and would like to do that while it’s apart.

·
Super Moderator
3,756 Posts
With the right tools and careful marking of location, it can be done.

·
Super Moderator
3,756 Posts
Thanks! I was going to look into a pan from the p218 but saw the above posts.
I have a 1983 and and a 1986 and the drains are in different locations. I seems to me that they were made to be drilled in the location for it's particular use as they were used in many applications, not just John Deeres.

Reactions: Salukijet
1 - 9 of 9 Posts