Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you guys, enough of last years thread, let's get this years winter thread started. Since I haven't gotten around to getting a snow picture onto my computer yet, here's a picture of an owl on my antenna a couple of weeks ago. (He kinda looks cold, doesn't he?)

DSC_0073.jpg

And here's a copy of Ryan's snow, just to keep things legit! :cold:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Let’s go! I’m ready for the snow to fly... I am, my equipment isn’t though. Swapping from mow to snow is on the schedule for next weekend.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Didn't realize I was posting in the old thread before, so I'll copy the post here.

I wasn't ready for the first snowfall but I'll be ready for the next one. I got to test out the new to me 47 blower and boy does it work great. I can't wait to put it through some of the deep stuff. I also got the snowmobiles out so I can do pre-season maintenance before the snow gets too deep. Turns out the brake caliper I rebuilt last winter for sticking issues is back to sticking. No amount of lube seems to help so I am suspecting warped caliper. New (used) one has been ordered.

Ryan

2019 Snow.jpg [SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Registered
436 Posts
Me and the 316 are ready and waiting! Still have a few things to fix on the blower but I can do that as parts come in. Supposed to get up to a foot in the next 2 days. I sure hope we do.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Woke up to another record breaking snowfall here in WI. I am really starting to believe the predictions that this will be a good (or bad depending how much you like snow) winter. With all these early snowfalls maybe it is acceptable for stores to be playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving... or maybe that is the cause of these snowfalls...

Ryan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Surely Greta and her world wide protests on global warming will put a huge damper on this years snowfalls.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woke up to a couple of inches of snow this morning. It's not the snow so much as the cold, 2 degrees. Yesterday it was 68 degrees, so quite a change. Anyway, I took a picture just to make it officially a this season picture! :snow: (notice that I did not get outside the garage door into the cold)

Steve

DSC_0075.jpg

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I measured 4" this morning. Got it all cleared using my 826 and scraper. Restoration on the 826 did not get done this summer but worked fine. Chute plugged a couple time because of wet snow on bottom. Not frost in ground yet so is a wet mess.

Gabby

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Let our Shih Tzu out at 3 AM. Light mist of rain.
At 5 AM sleet like wet snow just starting to cover the ground.
At 9 AM the streets have a thin coat of sleet / snow
By 2 PM we have wet inch of snow and the temp is falling.

Not enough to plow yet.
Spent Sat and Sunday at the farm in SE Iowa. Ground up the leaves and Sunday swapped the 455 mower deck out and installed the QH & blade.
Cleaned up the gravel driveway all wearing just a heavy sweat shirt.
We are ready with 1 455 & blade at the farm and 2 318's with QH & blade or 46 blower at our hobby shop and home here in Quincy.

Stay warm and use the little Deere's safely!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm up to 9 inches as of 530 this evening in SE Michigan. Maiden voyage of the diff lock and stump puller gearing, and I'm loving it!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi All!

Woke this morning to about 4" on the ground and still coming down. Crap!!!!! Mower still on, blower ready tho'. R&R'd the 2 in about an hour. Plugged the blower once with really wet mushy stuff at the end of the drive. Ate snow once - a little over zealous turning the chute - won't do that again <BG> (I hope). With good snow and the flapper on the auger it'll throw snow (into the next county <g>) 16 - 18 feet, I was surprised at the distance it would go. Blew off 12 neighbors sidewalks and 4 (including me) older folks driveways. Blew 2 widths from the gutter out for me and the neighbor so the snowplows don't blow the ends of our driveways full when they come by. Had lots of fun! Learning curve wasn't to steep for this. Interested to see how she works in deeper snow.

She don't corner worth a darn with the blower down. Gotta get a helper spring to lift the blower - like to pull my arm out of its socket pickin' the 37A up.

Best to All and to all a good season!

Jim

Thanks to all for the good threads/info on blowers and blowing snow.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think the total is about 12" at my place. First two inches was wet and heavy. Started to freeze as soon as I uncovered it with the blade, making me slide all over the place. Could really have used the blower but still have the decks on the other tractors for leaf duty. Not expecting this much snow this early. The 140 did a decent job with the added starter weights and Terra Grip chains this year. Could have used even more weight though with the heavy snow.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just got done with 8 or so inches of wet, heavy, sticky stuff. Blower was basically useless on the first pass. Just used it as a plow and pushed it off the driveway. Second pass was good if I kept the speed up. My replacement 49 is definitely quieter than the old one but still quite loud. I suppose straight cut gears and chain drive equals noise. Still fun as ever. Hope we have more on the way!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I had a thrower on a 1650 Cub Cadet that plugged so much it was useless except for dry snow. I used the 42" front blade I had for it unless the snow was too deep (yes, I painted that tractor Ford blue and polar white. Some guys liked it but it freaked out the purists at ihregistry.com).
ccblower1.jpg

I didn't know about the paddle mod when I had the 1650 thrower or I'd have tried it fer sure. Would have been a good test case.
ccblower2.jpg

The Model 50 single stage on my 400 has never plugged once in the 14 years I've had it. I didn't actually use it the first winter, thinking it would be useless like the Cub blower. Turned out not to be the case. I can blow wet snow no problem and even crawl along at half throttle tossing slush. It doesn't care. Pretty sure it's because I did the paddle trick to it before ever using it. I installed 1/2" thick rubber flaps to the auger paddles to extend them so they're just touching the tub. They prevent snow from building up at the back of the tub under the chute. Wasn't my idea. Found out about it here at WFM way back in the 'Winter 2006-2007' thread.
It would annoy my wife considerably that I can remember details like that for over a decade but not what she said 5 minutes ago :unkown:
ccblower3.jpg

Just got done with 8 or so inches of wet, heavy, sticky stuff. Blower was basically useless on the first pass. Just used it as a plow and pushed it off the driveway. Second pass was good if I kept the speed up. My replacement 49 is definitely quieter than the old one but still quite loud. I suppose straight cut gears and chain drive equals noise. Still fun as ever. Hope we have more on the way!

Reactions: jd195350

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I have a blower like that Gabby but its badged as a Roper. Needs an engine but I wouldn't actually use it if it was operational so I've never done it. My daughter and husband's new house has a pretty big driveway so I might do it and give it to them.

I measured 4" this morning. Got it all cleared using my 826 and scraper. Restoration on the 826 did not get done this summer but worked fine. Chute plugged a couple time because of wet snow on bottom. Not frost in ground yet so is a wet mess.

Gabby

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Excellent crowded shop pic! Kinda looks like mine. I'd put an engine on that exercise bike though.

Finally got to use the blade on the 214 tonight in about 4 inches. Can't believe how well it did and also can't believe the difference that chains and wheel weights. Looking forward to a bigger test for it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
You must be looking at rdc21's shop pic Greg. That's a `65 or `66. I have a `76 Corvette and a `50 Ford pickup. Love to have that fastback Mustang too though.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts