Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question #1: Do you bypass the safety switches on your round fenders or do you reconnect them?

Question #2: Where do I source the plastic quick connect wire connectors that are on 110 wire harness? I need them for my light wiring.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
It is against forum rules to talk about removing safety switches so you won't get much response to that question other than reconnect them. Try looking up the wire ends at your JD dealer or in JD parts. They may be available and a good parts man could help you. The other places to look would be an electronics store such as Radio Shack. You can buy a new harness for JD for not much money might be a third option. Roger

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I replaced the wiring harness on my '66 110 and believe it was right around $25. Money well spent in my book.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Both of my safety switches have been bypassed. However, I am looking to reconnect them. The neutral switch is gone all together, and I found the thread talking about using the kit from the 140. So I should be good there. My question is if anyone knows an easy way to test the mower engagement safety switch before I try and reconnect it. And whether or not it matters which wire I connect to which lead on both the neutral switch and the mower switch? Thanks again!

·
Registered
279 Posts
No either lead is fine Paul. If you have a multimeter use the ohm setting you should have almost 0 ohms between the posts in the safe position or if your meter can test continuity it should beep when in the safe position.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It looks like the switch is still good. SoI should just need to reconnect the wires. As far as the neutral switch I am unable to find a bracket for it. Does anyone know of an alternative to the oem backet for the neutral start switch? Im rebuilding this tractor for my son. He is two now, but in a few years will be old enough to drive it and I want to make sure all of the safety devices are there and functioning.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Paul look on E-Bay the neutral switches and brackets are on there fairly often. You might also try one of our sponsors HAPCO at the top of the page. Hapco most of the time has more stuff than the online catalog shows so it might be worth a call or e-mail. Roger

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
I like safety switches despite their aggravation at times. When my grand-kids set on my tractor I know that it won't start because of the seat switch or they have hit the hydrostat control lever moving it as little a an eighth of an inch. That is a level of insurance in case I forget to take the key out. I usually don't let them play unsupervised but they are at my house sometimes when I'm not.

Avoiding injury is worth the aggravation of these switches especially if it is a loved one.

This is just the opinion of Grandpa Doug.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the replys, I did end up finding a bracket on ebay from a 112 which should fit nicely! Doug I agree about the safety switches, I know they can be frustrating but these old machines are inherently more dangerous than the newer ones of today. It will give me a little peace of mind as my son gets older and wants to drive it that it wont start in gear and take off on him when he isnt ready. Not to mention make it harder for him to start if he is being curious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.