Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86' 430, 3-point, 2000rpm rear PTO, 60" deck, 54" blade, triple bag/tilt dump MCS units
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Good day all, new here and looking for some wisdom. I recently acquired a Woods M4 brush hog for my 430. I asked the seller to verify that the unit was a 2000rpm one not a 540 and he said it was, drove an hour to grab it and when I arrived it was not what he said it was. Communication error, he took it as his tractor was running at 2000rpm on the tach, not the actual input of the mower. Nevertheless the price was right so I picked it up, if anything to use on another tractor. Does anyone have any recommendations or leads on a gearbox that has the correct ratio and shaft size to run with the 430? Aftermarket or not, not particular, id just like to see if I can make this mower work for me, the body itself is in good shape and the right size for the 430. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,991 Posts
1 to 1.47 on this site.Gearbox

·
Registered
253 Posts
Make sure the blade will spin the correct direction, also. I think 540 and 2000rpm spin opposite, but verify that. The correct Woods mower would be an RM42 in 2000rpm flavor.

·
Registered
86' 430, 3-point, 2000rpm rear PTO, 60" deck, 54" blade, triple bag/tilt dump MCS units
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, dhager4692, wouldnt that ratio produce only a small drop in speed from the 2000 produced at the rear? I found that the 48" tiller box has a reduction of 1:4 which would be more suitable to reduce the 2000 down closer to 540. Kris, I was thinking about that, I believe they did make an M4 that was rated for the 2000rpm pto, ive seen a few in videos and pictures, unless those have been modified aswell of course. Any opinions on the 540pto kit from the 1800 utv? Does anyone know if that spins the correct direction and/or is strong enough to handle a 4ft brush hog? The shaft would have to be shortened, but thats doable. Mine is setup with a shear pin, just want to make sure that It wouldnt tear up the gearbox If I was able to acquire one. Currently have a potential lead on one so we will see what happens with that. Then I could leave the mower alone and make no modifications to it. friend has a 48" 540 tiller laying around too and id love to be able to run that aswell. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
253 Posts
Any opinions on the 540pto kit from the 1800 utv?
That’s as rare as rocking horse $4!7, so if you find one and need it, buy it. There’s several threads on here where some were modded and even used to run a small 540rpm bush hog. David Thewes was his name, his user name was jdmaninlouky. The site has been updated since then And I can’t find a thread to link you to it. He ruined one of the gearboxes before putting a slipper clutch on the pto shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my exact concern, but I may be in luck. Waiting to hear back from a friend so we will see what happens with that. Ive heard a few people talk of this conversion but as stated its no longer up, so it looks like ill have to be cautious with it if im able to acquire one. My M4 has a shear pin setup on it and I was planning on switching it to a clutch just for the safety of the gearbox. Ive never set one before so ill have to do some reading, but im sure I can figure it out. Farm I work at has an old JD tiller laying in the weeds that was too small for their uses so they left it, so I may grab the clutch of that and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for any input.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, there’s a few threads:

Sadly none of the pics work. You can go toGoogle and do a site search, or just search his username here on the forum. The forums changed software several times and a lot of data didn’t make the change with it, plus the photobucket scandal of holding everyone’s pics hostage until you paid to link them, kind of torpedoed all the pics.

Honestly, I would think about selling your current rig and getting a more modern garden tractor, or if money/spouse/whatever allows, keep your current rig and add another one. It will be much easier to find implements and they will be the standard 540 type. The 425 445 and 455 were the first Deere GT’s to offer the 540 pto. You could run a small brushog with one of them, a slipper clutch, and care.

If your deadset on using the 2000rpm, try to find a Woods M4 or a Cub brushog in that speed. If you want to go down a rabbit hole, read about the Yamaha Terrapro. It’s a quad with 2000rpm pto attachments. Might could find one of them, who knows? Just this old 2000rpm stuff is getting long in the tooth and hard to find, so you’ll need to have all the info so you know when to jump on a deal, or pass it on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, im just a sucker for a good challenge lol. If im able to source one then I will try to work with it. One of those links you posted actually had his number in it, almost wonder if its worth a shot giving him a shout to see if he would give some specifics on how he did his conversion. If I could find a factory 2000 M4 and it wasnt a fortune id pick it up and get rid of the 540 mower I currently have. If anyone has one within a few hours from northern VA and wants to let theirs move on let me know! If I had the space for a bigger tractor id pick one up but a 430 is really as big as I need, granted the lack of running 540 is a pain but it does everything else I need it to. A 455 would be a good addition but if im going to spend the money on another one id rather grab one a step up with a loader and 4x4 to check all the boxes. Any recommendations on a good sub compact if I was to go that route? Was thinking my next step would be a 7 or 855 or a 750. Ill have to check out that Terrapro, never heard of one but it sounds like an interesting thing to research. If i cant acquire the correct mower I still may try to find a 1:4 reduction gearbox like the 48" tillers had and see If i can adapt it to work with the M4, or perhaps another mower with an easier more universal mounting provision. Ive also seen Ark PTO reducers pop up during my research, not a bad thought, just a process to actually build one for my tractor. Id really be testing out my fab skills and my little buzz box from the 80s. Thank you for the reply Kris, greatly appreciated! Again as always thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, im just a sucker for a good challenge lol. If im able to source one then I will try to work with it. One of those links you posted actually had his number in it, almost wonder if its worth a shot giving him a shout to see if he would give some specifics on how he did his conversion. If I could find a factory 2000 M4 and it wasnt a fortune id pick it up and get rid of the 540 mower I currently have. If anyone has one within a few hours from northern VA and wants to let theirs move on let me know! If I had the space for a bigger tractor id pick one up but a 430 is really as big as I need, granted the lack of running 540 is a pain but it does everything else I need it to. A 455 would be a good addition but if im going to spend the money on another one id rather grab one a step up with a loader and 4x4 to check all the boxes. Any recommendations on a good sub compact if I was to go that route? Was thinking my next step would be a 7 or 855 or a 750. Ill have to check out that Terrapro, never heard of one but it sounds like an interesting thing to research. If i cant acquire the correct mower I still may try to find a 1:4 reduction gearbox like the 48" tillers had and see If i can adapt it to work with the M4, or perhaps another mower with an easier more universal mounting provision. Ive also seen Ark PTO reducers pop up during my research, not a bad thought, just a process to actually build one for my tractor. Id really be testing out my fab skills and my little buzz box from the 80s. Thank you for the reply Kris, greatly appreciated! Again as always thanks everyone!

·
Registered
253 Posts
You’re welcome. Yeah, I know what you mean about being a sucker for a challenge…I’m rocking my 332 and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Well, maybe a 655, haha. My 332 has got the 2000rpm pto and I’ve adapted a modern 42” hydraulic tiller to it, plus I have the 50” rear grooming mower. I’ve also got a KwikWay loader, Powerflow, and a Gannon Earthcavator clone I built. Last winter, I modded a 318 diff case and added two speed/diff lock to the tractor, and then a hydrostat cooler. Ive had it seven years and finally got it how I want it lol. I’ve got an old haban sickle that I have absolutely zero need for, but I’m tempted to convert it to 3 point and run it off the pto.

I would think you’d be on to something good if you got a 655-755-855-955 with a loader. I don’t think a 750 would work for me, as it’s a manual transmission. I like my cars stick, but I want my tractors hydrostatic. Anything series 1 would be good, 1023, 1025, the like.

That’s the correct model for you, the Woods RM42. The top listing specs it at 540rpm, but the bottom listing doesn’t spec the speed. Either way, the RM42 doesn’t have a gearbox, it’s got pulleys instead. I’ve seen posts where guys swap the 540 pulleys for the 2000rpm ones. Youll have to change the blades as well, due to the opposite rotation of the speeds. So, that’s one more option to put in your hat.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I had a look around the web for a 4:1 right angle drive and was surprised that there isn't a generic with a range of internal gears to make whatever ratio the customer wanted. Seems like a miss in the wider world of cheap equipment. You could add a reducer in front of the right angle

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That was my exact concern, but I may be in luck. Waiting to hear back from a friend so we will see what happens with that. Ive heard a few people talk of this conversion but as stated its no longer up, so it looks like ill have to be cautious with it if im able to acquire one. My M4 has a shear pin setup on it and I was planning on switching it to a clutch just for the safety of the gearbox. Ive never set one before so ill have to do some reading, but im sure I can figure it out. Farm I work at has an old JD tiller laying in the weeds that was too small for their uses so they left it, so I may grab the clutch of that and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for any input.
Just remember slip clutches require routine maintenance so as to not freeze up. (And therefore defeat their purpose)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any thoughts on the strength of the 540 front PTO setup for the 400 series? I know they arent meant for running high load equipment such as a brush hog or mower but is there anyone with any experience trying to adapt one to work on the rear? Theres one local to me up for sale and its a whole lot cheaper than making anything or buying a rear 540 box. Perhaps If i made sure the slip clutch was backed all the way down it would be enough to keep it from failing?
Thats quite the setup Kris! Id love to find a 44 for my 430 one day but that will be when I have enough money and time to just go grab one when I see it, and that wont be for a long time. The hydros are really nice especially when mowing, makes it a whole lot easier to adjust to the load being put on the mower at any given point. I was looking around for a planetary reducer that I could bolt onto the rear but have yet to come up with anything that will work. Going to keep looking around to see if i can find anything that will fit size wise and ratio wise. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are there any opinions on how the later 400 series mowers perform with factory 540 rear PTOs running tillers and brush hogs? A 455 came up at a decent price near me, I would have to add a 3pt and PTO kit but it would be solely a rear implement tractor, no other uses as the 430 would do everything else. If they can handle the load well it would probably be the best option for the sake of reliability. I still may try to make the front 540 PTO adapt to the rear IF i pick it up though, worst case Its a shelf piece that I can add to the collection. Any thoughts? Thank you

·
Registered
886 Posts
Would the front 540 adapted to the rear turn the right way? On my 430, the front and rear pto turn in opposite directions looking at the end of the shaft (although from above, they're turning the same way). Which means if I fitted my 531 pto to the rear, it would turn backwards. I'd need an adaptor to reverse the rotation

1 - 15 of 15 Posts