Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys tell me what you would do. I recently bought a 90' 420 garden tractor, with 60 in deck. It has the p220 Onan and 980 hours on it. I didn't realize how bad it was taking care of, but when I bought it started hard, do to the starter and flywheel grinding, but once it kicked in it sounded smooth with no smoke. I serviced with new fluids and filters. I put 5 hours on the machine and the starter quit engaging the flywheel alltogether. After running the tractor for some time, it blows some smoke every now and then just for a second then is fine. It leaks oil at the bottem of the fill tube and now leaks tranny fluid heavily at the top off the tran. The metal is in excellant shape, dent and ding wise, but does need blasted and painted. The engine is filthy,caked with grass and mud. I am considering just replacing starter and flywheel, cleaning up, fixing leaks, and putting back together, OR???? Any advice and help is greatly appreciated. What would you use to clean up the engine? How do I make sure the started and flywheel doesn't grind again? Should I keep running the onan, rebuild, buy a onan rebuild for $1100 or repower with new engine $1700(honda or other? Any comments on correcting leaks are welcome too. Thanks guys.

(Message edited by kkortman112 on August 13, 2009)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shane,

I would fix it up so you can complete the mowing season and get some experience with it. Then you can dive into it this winter.

As far as the engine goes I think I would replace the flywheel and starter and seal up the leaks. That will probably get the engine running decently enough. You can probably give it a good cleaning with Gunk or a similar product.

I think you should pull the mower deck, battery, battery tray, fender deck and gas tank. You will then pretty much have access to everything. Give the tractor a good cleaning. You might be able to tell where the trans is leaking.

Given that the tractor probably has a questionable maintenance history, you should probably change the oil and filters in the trans and engine and grease all the fittings. Check the oil level in the mower gear box

This should put you in good shape to finish the year and this winter you can do a more thorough cleaning / painting.

Bob

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you like the tractor and are planning on keeping it and don't mind spending 1700 on a repower- go for it! It looks like it's completely apart anyway. You'll never match the performance of a Honda or a Kohler Command with the old Onan. Chances are real good that the Onan is close to needing lots of work once you tear into it.If you are worried about collector status later, keep the Onan around. As far as fixing the Onan and running it- even if you can get parts for it now, I'd be worried about down the road.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well guys,
I ended up buying a new starter($120) and a used flywheel($125) tonight on the so called evilbay. Paid a little more than I wanted to for the flywheel, but I need to get the parts soon before I forget how it all goes back together. This is the first time I have ever taken an engine out of anything, I really liked it though.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jay,
I really do like this tractor and I'm planning on keeping it for a very long time. The thing is I haven't torn into the engine at all, just took off the flywheel and starter, so I think everything will work again when I put it back together. I think I am going to run the onan to death, then repower once that happens. Then I might try my hand at an engine rebuild.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.