Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you personally installed a John Deere or Ruegg 3-pt. hitch on your X400/X500/X700 tractor and had difficulty attaching the depth stop rod mechanism?

On the Ruegg hitch for my X585, the right side of the depth stop pivot at the top of the rod does not fit into the half-moon-shaped cutout in the tractor frame (see photos). The pivot sits about 1/8" too high and is stopped by the top edge of the cutout. The pivot fits only if moved down and to the right, which means the left side of the pivot is no longer square in the slot in the left side of the frame. Tapping the depth control rod does nothing. It looks like I need to grind off 1/8" from the top of the frame cutout. The John Deere installation instructions don't state it is necessary to hammer or grind.

Did your depth stop simply slide into place or did you need to help it? Thanks.

I've read about installers having to tap the rod with a hammer. I need more than just a tap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's probably just at one end of the manufacturing tolerance for the frame. Looks like about 10 seconds with a file will fix it and there's nothing structural to worry about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm inclined to agree with you on the bad tolerance. The unit doesn't fit between into left and right slots even by itself where I'm able to move it around without the confines of the rockshaft position. I'd prefer to use a file as a last resort, though, because I'll need more than 10 seconds to grind off the 1/8" discrepancy, then use touch-up paint to avoid rust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts