Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my new to me x720 (this past spring) has been working flawless and it is time to switch the other main use. Snow removal! This past weekend I put the rebuilt 46 snow blower on the x720 along with the weights and chains. However it was missing something.

After brain storming for a bit, came up with the idea that I was going to build myself a weather enclosure as I the price of pre build cabs were out of the budget. I am an OEM guy as I like things to look like the manufacturer intended them to. My mission was set...

ROOF
I was unsure what to use, I called my dad, he suggested trying to find a golf cart roof, I was like I bet they are impossible to find. A scour of craigslist ensued, I found a guy about 70 miles away that was used used ones for $75. I was luke warm on the idea, so I called a golf cart dealer about 25 miles from my house. The owner answered and said he had a full roll off bin of used golf cart parts with roofs included, he said to come take whatever I wanted. I was like see you in 30 minutes. My son and I drove down there and found the roll off full of parts. After about 20 minutes of digging through the roll-off I had two roofs, 3 windshields, 6 like new tires mounted on rims, 4 hubcaps, a bumper and a few miscellaneous items. The best part all for free!!! The owner came out while we were digging and told me he restores the golf carts off lease with all new body parts.

FRAME
This again was a bit of agony at first but once I knew I was getting a roof, I decided to stop by the local welding shop, he hooked me up with 36 feet of 14 gauge 1 inch square tubing (not free:cry:). I am so glad I went this route, it is easy to weld but has great integrity. I also am using a bed frame that my son destroyed while playing basketball in his bedroom with his cousins. Thus I am using that for braces, etc...

WALLS

I am looking at buying a golf cart weather enclosure and cutting it as needed. They can be found for $50-$75 or so. The intent is to velcro them to the frame posts as needed. At this point I do not plan to build a seperate door. The kind I have been looking have zipper doors. I may build a door in the future if need the arises.

Attached are some pictures of my first day, I will be working on it for the next couple of days with my boys.

As it was in the beginning...

How to mount it to the frame?

Roof Framing

Mockup on tractor, adjustments to height were made after this picture...

I got dang lucky, the windshield will fit perfectly and allow me to open the hood in the future...

More tomorrow night!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Golf cart parts - great idea.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Gonna watch this. Want to do something similar to my 110 for blowing. There's a golf cart dealer by me. Will have to give them a call.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok some updates... I was sidelined yesterday with a visit from my parents yesterday, it was great to see them. I finished up the frame and painted it.

Using the rustoluem plastic primer i was able to prime and paint the golf cart roof. I painted the underside black (to match the 40 series deere's from late 70's early 80's interiors). The plastic primer works great and you can paint over with any rustoluem paint.

The underside...

The top...

During the waiting game of paint drying in installed auxiliary switches to control the cab lights and my chute spout.

The spout control is operated by a 4" stroke linear actuator i got for $30 on Amazon. The toggle switch is a 6 pin dpdt switch with the polarity reversed on each side. I mounted the actuator and paint in deere yellow however I am going to flip to keep the water out.

In the mean time my 9 and 12 year old boys built some chairs for the family... Good to get them started young...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an enclosure on its way. Tommorow I plan to put the roof and frame and start with lighting

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick update, put it in the tractor to get vehicles back in the garage.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Great idea, and looking good!
What about using 1/4” round steel to make a door frame and wrapping the vinyl around the edges. That’s how the door is on the soft sides Deere cabs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Minihomesteader - do you have any reference pictures?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Worked on the enclosure a bit more today. 3 steps forward, 1 step back.

First step forward is the lights are mounted and wired up. The lights are led fog lights that I purchased a few years ago from Amazon. The fronts are mounted up as I high as I could to give me the best coverage possible.

The center line is the folding crease from the golf cart windshield. I decided to use this windshield so I can open the hood when needed. The cut is a bit exaggerated in the picture.

The 2nd step forward was the windshield. I trimmed the excess junk from the windshield so that it fit flush on the front of the frame and looked "correct".

The third step forward was a decision to create a "cab door". The step forward was the I create my own hinges for the door.

Sorry the picture is on the side but it gives you an idea of what I did... I have steel tubing that fits over the bolt and than I weld a piece of flat stock to it and the door.

The one step back was I attempt to make a door but the metal I used was too thin. It just wouldn't hold, I will go early this week to get some more metal.

A few thoughts...

-I intend to wrap the back, right side and front windshield bottom area in one piece of the enclosure (will have to cut). The door will have it's own "skin".
-I have a bunch of Velcro with adhesive that I am hoping will hold, I have rivets to rivet the ends to the frame to keep in attached, just worried about adhesion to the wrap. I have thought about buttons along with Velcro, even something like 3 buttons on the ends along with Velcro might be enough to hold it in place.
-a test drive revealed that in turns it is a bit top heavy, I am going to have to secure the 4 mounting points to enclosure frame with a pin of some sort.
- the enclosure will be here on Tuesday, I should have time this week to fit it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts