Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have owned several 300 + 400 series tractors and I am familiar with changing the rear wheel mounting to provide a wider track . My property is hilly/slanted and the wide mount provides a little extra safety .

A few months ago I purchased a used X740 with a 60" 7 iron mowing deck . It is a drive over deck but not an auto connect . Can I set the rear wheels to the wide setting ? This is my first newer machine . Also I have 3 pairs of cast iron wheel weights , any issues using 3 per side ?

I am assuming the drive over deck can be driven over with the front wheels ? I ask that because 3 sets of rear wheel weights may be too wide for the rear wheels to clear the deck wheel supports . I want to use 3 sets of weights because I want to adapt my Buford Bucket FEL . Thanks in advance 👍

· Registered
3,352 Posts
I’m pretty sure you can set it as wide as you want without hitting the casters. I believe all Deere drive over decks are driven over forwards.

· Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Only my AWS tractors in the earlier X4nn series (mine was an X495) were unable to run the wheels in "wide" position due to the very deep dish of the wheels that accommodated the u-joint in the outer end of the axle... A reversed rim in that case would contact the rear edge of the deck at full turn lock.

The triple wheel weights are another issue which you will have to determine for yourself. In general, the reference plane for the wheel weights are the wheel center disc, which is in the same place relative to the end of the axle without regard to the reversal of the rim to the wide position (the weights just fit deeper into the rim...)

Chuck

· Registered
763 Posts
Drive over decks are mainly designed for just the front wheels to go over., especially if its a quick connect. With having a 2wd X740 you're going to have some issues backing off your deck, especially if your doing it on a hard surface. The 4wd and AWD version the front wheels will climb up the deck, the 2wd the front wheels tend to "push" the deck. I would make some small wooden ramps to go between the front wheels and deck when you go to take it off.

· Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After looking closer it appears my rear wheels are set to the wide position . I was surprised that the valve stem is facing out . On previous 300/400 series the valve stem was facing in . With two or three sets of wheel weights how do you get to the valve stem/cap ????? Have to install longer valve stems ?

· Registered
763 Posts
After looking closer it appears my rear wheels are set to the wide position . I was surprised that the valve stem is facing out . On previous 300/400 series the valve stem was facing in . With two or three sets of wheel weights how do you get to the valve stem/cap ????? Have to install longer valve stems ?
They make extensions

· Registered
1 Posts
The 54HC and 60HC are the drive over decks sold with the X73x and X75x series tractors. They recommend backing over the deck for 2wd machines and driving forward over the deck for the hydraulic AWD machines.

Presumably with the wheels driving, they will climb over the deck easier, rather than pushing.

I don't know what is recommended for the 7-iron X74x combination.

(48X, 54C ad 62C decks that were sold for the X72x and X74x machines were not drive over.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts