Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. a mower tractor like this? I've seen other brands done to look like a Cat but not a real one. Assuming this is a real one I mean. Ad is here or click the pic to view it.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one but sold it and regretted that ever since then. That was 10 years ago and I haven't run across another one yet.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Looks like a strategically painted MTD.

Reactions: LukeL and jake_vc

·
Registered
590 Posts
That is definitely not a Caterpillar product nor was it sold by a Cat dealer. I’m guessing someone just painted their tractor in Cat colors.

Just FYI, that version of the Cat logo was introduced sometime in the very late 80’s or early 90’s and I’m guessing that tractor is a late 70’s or early 80’s vintage?

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dammit. I was hoping it was a real one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If Cat does make one it will simply be someone else’s product that’s painted and decayed, and the company pays a licensing fee to Cat based on gross product and parts sales….or a flat fee, whichever is best for Cat. Cat wouldn’t spend the effort on small, volume products. They sold off lift trucks and truck engines because the margins were too slim.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My '64 Massey Exec mower is like that. It's just a Motomower with a Massey hood on it.

If Cat does make one it will simply be someone else’s product that’s painted and decayed, and the company pays a licensing fee to Cat based on gross product and parts sales….or a flat fee, whichever is best for Cat. Cat wouldn’t spend the effort on small, volume products. They sold off lift trucks and truck engines because the margins were too slim.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I keep hoping I'll run across an old mower tractor that nobody has ever seen before. No luck so far.

Way back in the day.. I drove a new '74 Ford Louisville single axle with a 3208 Cat engine and a 5 speed split axle hauling apples to market. Some went to a big juice plant. Some to packing plants. That particular Cat engine was known as the 'Yellow Grenade' They weren't highly rated but I never had any issues with it. It was made to rev to about 3200 RPM (IIRC) and was driven like a gas engine.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
This close enough?

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
I have found that auto-correct does not change a stupid comment. BAN it.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I watched some old WW2 documentaries recently that use speech to text technology, which is very similar to autocorrect in the sense that a computer is working with the idiosyncrasies of the English language. It actually does a decent job but some of the output makes autocorrect look like a genius..

I have found that auto-correct does not change a stupid comment. BAN it.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you guys wanna see what it's like in Ukraine right now watch some old documentaries about WW2. Prime has quite a few of them. I also watched Fury again recently and Saving Private Ryan. Both are fictional but the realism is very accurate. The D Day scenes are just mind blowing.

Reactions: DEERE317
1 - 20 of 21 Posts